20 July 2010

Kitchen Table Stories


When I was eating my breakfast this morning, I was particularly happy with the way our kitchen table looked. For me kitchen tables are the centre of the home, the place where whatever is going on in your life gets tossed, where plans are made, where things are created, where disputes are settled, where countless cups of tea are drank, where an endless number of stories are told and three meals a day are enjoyed. The kitchen table is a sign of the current status of our life. Ours too often of late has been littered with dead flies, discarded dirty clothes, piles of things to do and dried up bits of food because I haven't been bothered to wipe the table properly after a meal. 


But today, it looked different, looked fresh. We have the last of the apples that were given to us by our dear friends. Poor Maggie has had apple pie coming out of her ears of late, I made eight apple pies last week! The flowers were presented to me by Maggie and Kim when I arrived home yesterday. There she was stood in the doorway grasping the big pretty bunch which she thrust at me with a big cheesy grin on her face, but wouldn't then actually let them go and instead thought it was much more fun to bash them on the floor (like a gisgruntled girlfriend would). The pile of clean laundry is so much more satisfying than the usual pile of discarded sandy or muddy clothes and in amongst there is some lovely pink/white striped jersey cotton bought from the oppy to add to my stash . The rescue remedy cream is my life saver, I use it all the time.  This time of year my hands get so dry, particularly when I scrubbed the whole of the inside of the caravan with bicarb/vinegar at the weekend and burnt my hand on the wood burner. The different shaped and textured foliage in the coffee cup was collected by me and Maggie on our Sunday walk and will be used for our next painting session. The green jacket hung on the back of the chair is a favourite of mine, made from wool, it comes out of the cupboard when jack frost comes out to play. 


There we have it, the story of my life as it stands at the moment. Do you have a kithen table that is the hub of your family, where the props to your life sit? Would you like to read other peoples kitchen table stories? See where we all hang out? Hear what's going on in our lifes today? Share where we're at in this big adventure of life? If you think you'd like to share, please write a post "Kitchen Table Stories". This is a 'take me as you find me' invitation, no 'staging', just pure laying your cards on the table so to speak. If it is popular maybe I could link everyone so we can take a little peek into each others worlds via the great kitchen table, the real master of the house.

3 comments:

Gina said...

Love a kitchen table story/picture. I also like how you describe it. We are lacking the kitchen table at present... sigh... we're in a space too small. I do feel like the heart of our home is missing a bit. I'll happily gaze at other tables though!

Steph said...

Love you table story!! Such lovely thoughts too!! My table is way scary at the moment...too much on my plate I think. Hope you are having a lovely week :)

Allana said...

What a lovely idea Claire! Will join in over the weekend! Your table looks very inviting and warm :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...