23 May 2010

Autumn in the City

I love Autumn, it's so romantic. Kicking golden leaves, enjoying sunny crisp mornings and feeling snug and cosy in knits. It always makes me want to venture away from home and into the city so a couple of weeks ago I headed down to Hobart when Kim had to go down that way for work. On the way we stopped at Ross in the Midlands, a must if ever we're passing through.


The Antiques and Treasures shop in Ross is a great place to stop to stretch your legs and indulge in some light retail therapy, particularly if you're looking for something a little bit different. The oppulent french/european styling makes it so beautiful. The wood burner and friendly owner also makes it very welcoming.


So whilst Kim was working, I wondered around Hobart for three whole days and this is some of what I saw. Arthur Circus is a little circle of old houses in Battery Point with a proper little green in the middle, well worth a look if you're in Hobart.


Also in Battery Point is Jackman & McRoss bakery on Hempdon Street - mouth watering delights galore to be had here!!! I then mooched down Napoleon Street to the waters edge where I found a new antiques shop in the old mariners cottage and had a lovely chat with the gorgeous Maria.


The Princes Park is also down this end - a lovely peaceful park for Maggie to have a play before facing her mother's architecture/art utopia Salamanca Place. You can easily spend a whole day in Salamanca Place looking around art galleries, admiring the architecture, shopping, eating and drinking proper coffee, and the market on Saturday's just gets better and better. As well as all the arts & crafts, ethnic treasures, food, books, records, flowers, retro clothing etc it now also has a large fresh produce section displaying a fantastic range of asian greens and other unusual vegetables and herbs.


Hobart is a great city for mariners history, art and architecture. It's also a fantastic place to shop if you stay away from the malls. Maggie and I also love watching 'the boaties' doing their thing down on the harbour. But grab a coffee and a blanket to take down with you, it's freezing down there.


Can you believe it, five whole days with no sewing machine or computer - yikes! It was actually quite nice and I walked my little legs off. Oh how I love exploring a city, it's like being on holiday. You should try it, go to a city near you and pretend you're on holiday, do things you usually don't have time to do.

I was also hoping to pop-in to see the lovely Natasha at Three Windows Gallery in Oatlands on the way back but time got away with us so we missed out this time. Natasha makes the most beautiful glass art and stocks an eclectic array of contemporary art, crafts & gifts (including Baby Boudoir) as well as retro clothing and collectables. Plus, they're restoring the old mill and the bakery in Oatlands and will be making and selling bread made with their own spelt....mmmm that's gotta be worth a try. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

ooo jealous!

Julie said...

It all enough to make me want to move to Tasi.

3 windows gallery said...

Hiya Claire .... was having a lovely catch up reading/viewing your blog .....& oh so tickled pink to see me & me shop mentioned .... sorry to have missed you ..... I will be in contact soon ..... glad to hear you had a lovely time in Hobart XXX

Cat said...

Sounds like you had a lovely holiday. I went to Tassie in March and Ross was one of my favourite towns to visit, very pretty and I loved all the buildings. I'm missing Tassie after looking at your pics. Lovely blog too. Catherine:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...